About Me

My photo
no camera no ipod no laptop no pc no cellphone. i have a walker with wheels and a seat. i have a land line. i had a dog but he died. the taxicab lives. Some things have changed.The walker remains.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

TURNING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

Last night for the first time since I bought this beast, I turned it off because I was tired. Until then it's been like a drug or a really good book; once I started it up I would keep going for a ridiculous length of time, wearing myself out ad getting no sleep. And yet, it often feels like work?
What makes the computer so compelling. I watch children at the library and they're transfixed. Their parents try in vain to break their concentration; I hear them pleading with their children to go out on the playground. Hopefully, I think, this concentration is good, this ability to focus. But is it, or is it like the mindless focus on television that captured their predecessors and made of them couch potatoes?
As for myself, I have no answer. I do not focus. I wander. There are too many possibilities here. It's like being in the grocery store trying to remember what I meant to buy.

4 comments:

Lily said...

Mom once told me when her roommate first bought a computer in 1994 they signed up for AOL. Back then you had to pay so much a minute for time spent online. Eventually they were spending so much time online the bills were like $200 to $600 a month. They would spend hours and hours every night forsaking food and sleep for the computer drug. Yetti, the legendary cat in residence at the time got so mad at their lack of attention he peed directly into the dial up modem. Eventually computer use dropped off as real life intruded and all is well once again with the petting and feeding. I sure am glad I wasn't alive during those dark days!

taxicab said...

Yetti sounds like an outstanding cat! What a noble gesture! To risk ossible punishment or even exile just to save his humans from their foolishness!

o said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
o said...

I know the feeling...that's how my life goes on...