About Me

My photo
no camera no ipod no laptop no pc no cellphone. i have a walker with wheels and a seat. i have a land line. i had a dog but he died. the taxicab lives. Some things have changed.The walker remains.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Random Thoughts about Loving America


Michelle Obama took a lot of flack for saying, at some point early in the campaign, "This is the first time I've been proud to be an American." It took me a little longer; but finally, Tuesday, January 20, 2009, I was proud to be an American. But more than that, for the first time in my life, I feel safe. Oh, I know bad things will happen to me, to us, to the world But Barak Obama will remain perfectly calm, serious, practical, and capable. I've never expected that of a President, of anybody. Maybe, with his example, someday I can even learn to expect that of me.
That's why I chose this picture to publish on my blog instead of one showing his beautiful smile. Because in the middle of the biggest, bestest, feel good national party in the history of America, he gave a calm, serious, practical capable speech about how hard it's gonna be to do what must be done to save us all; and instead of saying "bummer", folks just said, "Yeah, that's right" and partied on, not to forget how scary the world is, but to acknowledge how capable he is of leading us.

2 comments:

TeenBibliotecaria said...

Thanks for this post, Ginger. Every one of your sentences is, to me, spot on. Well done.

Lily said...

Right on, sister!